QD Tapioca "4 tablespoons ( in india tapioca is called Saago)
RD Sugar " 1 cup
SD Cashew nuts "Few about 7 or 8 nuts ( cut into small pieces)
TD Raisins " Few
UD Cardamom powder " 1/4 teaspoon ( crush 4 whole cardamoms)
VD Saffron " One pinch" (Optional)
WD Coconut milk ( Optional)
1. Wash and soak tapioca in water for about 15 minutes. After it is soaked drain the water.
2. Boil milk for about 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add tapioca, cashewnuts and raisins and boil till tapioca is done ( about 5 minutes)
4. `dd sugar and stir.
5. Add saffron and cardamom powder and remove from fire.
1. Rice ( Thai rice)- 4 cups
2. Urad dal ( white lentils) " 1 cup
3. Salt for taste.
With this measurement you can get about 25 to 30 dosas.
If you need less number of dosas, use a smaller cup to measure Method First we need to make the dosa batter about 2 days before we make the dosas. The dosa batter has to ferment and therefore has to be kept in a warm place.
1. Soak rice and dal separately in water overnight ( about 6 hours)
2. Grind with as little water rice and dal separately in a mixer or grinder till the batter is ground to a smooth paste.
3. Mix both the batter
4. Add salt
5. Leave the batter to ferment overnight or for one day Method to make the dosas 1. Heat the pan . The pan should be of big size. ( for example, pan used for making crepe or pancake) 2. Spread little oil , with the brush or cloth , on the pan. 3. Use a big round spoon to pour one spoon of batter on the pan . Pour one spoon batter in the center of the pan. Spread the batter in round shape on the pan with the spoon resembling pancake shape. 5. Pour about one teaspoon oil on the sides of the dosa.
6. After one minute , turn the dosa and let it heat till done for one more minute.
7. Remove and serve hot with chutney( indian sauce) or saambaar.
( south indian dish)‘
PD Tur@DAL@or yellow lentil- one cup
QD Sambhar powder- 2 tablespoons
RD Salt to taste
SD Tamarind- one lemon size .
TD Vegetables- one small potato, 4 small onions, one eggplant, 4 or 5 okras ( you can also add 2 tomatoes, few beans, one carrot or white pumpkin)
UD Water about 3 to 4 cups
WD Mustard seeds- one teaspoon
XD Turmeric powder- 1/4 tspn
1. Tur Dal- Boil or pressure cook tur dal with enough water till soft.
2. Vegetables- Boil vegetables with
3 cups water until cooked adding litte salt while it boils. 3. Tamarind- it is a dry fruit widely used in cooking in south India. Soak the tamarind in little water. Squeeze the juice to make a thick pulp .
4. In a pan, heat one tablespoon oil, fry mustard seeds until it splutters.
5. Add turmeric powder ,cooked dal, tamarind pulp and sambhar powder and let it boil for a few minutes.
6. Add boiled vegetables and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
7. Remove from fire and serve with Rice or dosa
Please note that Sambar powder is easily available in the Indian shops. However, to make at home we need
1. One cup coriander seeds ( whole)
2. One tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi in India)
3. Two tablespoons chana dal ( Bengal gram dal)
4. 4 to 5 red chillies according to your taste You have to roast the above ingredients separately and powder them together in a dry grinder to make fine dry powder.